Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

SEPTEMBER HEROINE ENTREPRENEUR...... FLEURTZY

Storm from X-Men of Marvel Comics
What is a heroine?....
According to Merriam-Webster online dictionary:


A heroine is - a: a mythological or legendary woman having the qualities of a hero b: a woman admired and emulated for her achievements and qualities.

Introducing September's Heroine Entrepreneur.....


Fleurzty of La Boutique de Fleurzy

 
1. Tell us about your business, products, services and what makes it special or unique.

My business began as a blog. I started Texture Playground to research and share some information about natural hair care. I found myself drawn to the blog, writing and the readers as time went by. At the same time, I began experimenting more and more with some old recipes, some of which became the very products I now share with my customers.


The products are all-natural, including the preservatives and fragrances that are used. Three out of the four products currently available in the boutique are fragranced solely with essential oils. The focus of my line of products is to do more with less. They are heavily concentrated and effective, so a little bit goes a long way. The products also don’t use any filler ingredients, solely what is needed for maximum effectiveness within the recipe.


2. How was it birthed?

Texture Playground and La Boutique de Fleurzty both birthed out of passion and excitement. The same fuels that continue to drive their operation day to day.


3. What sparked the development of your business? How did you begin?

Believe it or not, I did my first big chop about 4 months before my wedding. I was seriously thinking about the idea of going natural and ridding myself of the harsh chemicals that I regularly subjected my hair and scalp to. My fiancé, now my husband, was very supportive and even took me to the stylist. Just as a symbol of my immaturity in the natural hair world, we went to Super Cuts! LOL! I learned a lot in the first years, much of which is now shared on the website. The products came on much later, and were the result of testing, sharing with family and friends and much kitchen play. After finalizing the Nurturing Treatment Oil, I shared the recipe with my readers who loved it. I also began making products for family members. We all loved the products. Little by little, I felt myself moving in the product creation direction.


4. Have you always been in this particular field? Do you have a history in this area?

I don’t have a history in the field of natural hair care and culture. It began with the research that I did for a few months prior to my first big chop in November 2004. I did my undergrad in psychology and my graduate degree is in Cultural Studies and Conflict Resolution.


5. How much support did you receive when you first started out?

By the time I actually launched the products, all my readers were already anticipating them. It was great to see the outpouring of love and support. I could have not asked for a better group, more supportive beginning.


6. Is there anything that you wish you would have done or handled differently?

I took the time to research, plan, and manage all of the necessary steps to start my hair journey, website, and products. A lot of the information I learned during those times spent on preparations has not been used, some will never be in fact! I think it has made me a better business woman and a more educated consumer, but I would be more discerning in the information I read and the time I allocate to that if given the chance.


7. What was your biggest hurdle in developing your business?

 My biggest hurdle has come in a tri-pack, time, energy and finances. Being able to manage my time between family and business; having enough energy to get the work done that I know needs to get done; and of course, being able to financially support my ideas so that they can grow. This can all be summed up in a 4-letter word, L – I – F – E! What I have found is that there is no time that will be a, “good time.” I have decided to take action toward my dream, and have been blessed with success, thus far.

8. How did you stay motivated or what kept you motivated whenever you hit a bump/pothole in the road or a difficult time?

There are several things that keep me pressing forward and in no particular order I will discuss a few that come to mind. The first would be my faith. I have a passion for what I do because it is what I enjoy, but I also know that God has a plan for me and I believe that he has blessed me with strength to allow the rough times to simply smooth out edges. The second would be my readers and supporters. I feel so humbled to hear others speak highly about my products, website, posts, and other contributions to the natural hair community. It is difficult to put into words, but it is an awesome feeling when you know that you are positively influencing so many women from different walks of life and figuratively speaking, liberating some of them from the restrictions of beauty and their natural afro hair. I would be remiss to not mention my hubby. He supports me and my work and does not allow me to give up. He is adamant about my progress and so is our son who supports in his very toddler-ways.


Thankfully I also have a host of siblings and friends who make their support known. I am grateful for my surroundings and constant encouragement and appreciation.


9. There are quite a few women who are seeking to do what you’ve done. What advice would you give them?

 This may not be the answer that someone would like to hear, but the best advice I can give is, ‘be yourself.’ You’re more likely to succeed and find a niche, if you think about what you love, and allow your personality to shine through. If your idea is to provide a natural hair service, do think of where you can serve best. It may be as broad as natural hair care or you need to specialize and cater to the care of a particular style. Wherever your heart leads you, follow it!

10. Is there anything new & exciting that we can expect from your business in the future?

Absolutely, but I am not ready to share much just yet. Don’t want to say too much prematurely ;-) Rest assured, I am working on some items for La Boutique de Fleurzty, some writing projects for Texture Playground and some more fun stuff for the Fall.


And there you have it. Another insightful and encouraging interview for all of you newbie biz owners, wanna-be biz owners and everyone else.

You can connect with Fleurzty at:
Her blog: Texture Playground
Her Store: La Boutique de Fleurzty
Youtube: Texture Playground Channel
Email: Fleurzty@textureplayground.com

**A special note to Fleurzty
Thanks for agreeing to do this interview. I count myself fortunate to have connected with you on the web. I remember following your blog soon after you created it. Loving your informative posts. And when I saw that you decided to go for it and create your own products, I was so excited and moved. I heart all who go after making their dreams and hearts desire a reality. Thanks for sharing yourself, your experience and your wonderful products with us. I pray for your continued success and growth in your business, your family and yourself.
Much love to ya!

Post Title SEPTEMBER HEROINE ENTREPRENEUR...... FLEURTZY