Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

AYURVEDIC HERBS SIMPLIFIED



Hola Beautifuls!

I’m posting this to help simplify ayurvedic powders (I hope) and their uses on the hair, also skin. But my main focus is on using the powders to make paste to condition, cleanse and treat the hair. I know I've mentioned them before here and here. So I'm attempting to simplify them a bit more in this post.

Here’s a listing of a few of them:

Amla
The herb is an astringent, helps dye uptake, a conditioner and is mildly acidic (high in Vitamin C). It is said to penetrate the scalp and strengthen hair at its root, to stop and reverse abnormal hair loss and to promote stronger, healthier new growth. It is also an excellent conditioning herb.


Aritha(Soapnut)
Cleansing, can leave hair a bit stiff. Aritha - can be used whole, fresh or dried, boiled then let stand of a night, as a shampoo on their own. It can also be used as a gentle fabric detergent. Some recommend it for use with shikakai and amla. I would not put it with shikakai for use on the hair since, as a cleanser, both can be drying.

Brahmi
Used for skin diseases. When used as a paste promotes growth and is anti dandruff. Similar to the oil.

Bringraj (MAKA)
Aids in hair growth. Used for prevention of premature balding, and helps with sun damaged and color treated hair. Bhringraj is an ancient remedy for hair loss, premature graying, skin allergies, and devitalized skin and hair. Bringraj herb and oil have similar properties. Conditioning. Moisturizing.

Hibiscus Petal Powder
Mild cleansing agent, promotes hair growth, softens and conditions. Hibiscus - possibility of it staining light porous hair a slight red. Hibiscus petals, also known as jaswand, were used in Ayurvedic medicine to stimulate thicker hair growth and to prevent premature graying, hair loss and scalp disorders. The petals act as a natural, emollient hair conditioner.

Kalpitone Powder
Used to get Dark, Dandruff Free hair. Kalpi Tone Powder has the following advantages: Gives a dark tinge to the hair. Strengthens hair roots and promotes hair growth.

Neem
Anti fungal, anti bacterial herb. Can have an unpleasant smell if infused in oil. The herb itself has a neutral smell. It works in killing of and protection against lice, fungal caused dandruff, and any infection caused skin conditions. Helps treat eczema. Natural insecticide and fungicide.

Shikakai
Cleansing agent. Can be drying. Use with oils or a conditioning herb.



I would definitely recommend doing a pre-poo with oil at least an hour before doing any ayurvedic treatment. Especially if you're using any of the powders with "cleansing" properties as they can be drying to the hair. You can use basically any oil or oil mix to pre-poo with. I plan on doing a henna (another ayurvedic herb) treatment this weekend and will oil pre-poo several hours in advance with that wonderful and delicious smelling Hairveda Vatika Frosting. Loves this stuff!

I had never considered Hisbiscus Powder to be an ayurvedic herb but indeed it is. It is very moisturizing and can help balance out the cleansing herbs, Aritha and Shikakai, cause they can dry the heck outta your hair.
A recommendation for mixing ratios is to do a 2:1 mix of moisturizing to cleansing powders.
I would also add a small amount of oil to whatever mix you choose to try.

My next batch will consist of 2 Tablespoons of Amla, 2 Tablespoons of Brahmi, 1 Tablespoon of Maka, just enough warmish water to make it pasty, and a little bit of oil of choice. I may even add a Tablespoon of Shikakai. Either way, I’ll keep you all posted on it, especially if I add the Shikakai to the mix.

Check out From Nature With Love for more info. on ayurvedic herbs and possible mixes.


Speaking of Hisbiscus Powder, Laquita of All Naptural was kind enough to send me some products that she made from the Herb Giveaway winnings from this blog. I’m especially lovin’ the moisturizing hair oil which contains some of the herb in which I speak. I’ve been using it the oil for my steam oil treatments and I must say my hair feels quite lovely after rinsing it out. Laquita also has an etsy shop where she sells her products. You can check it out here. I must say, I am so proud of her and all the other ladies out there making it do what it do. I also am in anticipation for Fleurtzy from Texture Playground to debut her products. You can catch wind of her “in the makings” at Newly Natural. More natural, organic and holistic entrepreneurs on the rise. Lovin’ it!

I do hope that this helps for the ladies out there interested in and those who maybe a little apprehensive about using ayurvedic herbs.

Much Luv,

Post Title AYURVEDIC HERBS SIMPLIFIED