Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

MY PERSONAL SUMMER BUN CHALLENGE

Okay. I know I haven’t done an update on my hair in awhile. But to be quite honest, its pretty boring. I’ve decided to do protective styling throughout the summer by wearing buns. So that’s pretty much what I’ve been up to. I think what really motivated my decision to do so is that I’ve gotten bored with the twist-out. So bunning seemed to be one of the easiest and “coolest” protective styles to do during a warm, humid summer.




I’ll also be incorporating more protein treatments by using a couple of eggs. I may try it one time by mixing it with a conditioner. I did a protein treatment w/eggs only a couple of weeks ago and had great results. Check out Au Naturale blog for some great recipes. My hair felt strong and wasn’t dry. I deep conditioned afterwards and put it back into a bun.



To slick down my hair, I’ve been using Curl Junkie’s Curl Assurance Aloe Fix. Loves this stuff. It has great hold and is quite moisturing. During the Hairveda sale, I purchased the Hairveda Whipped Gelly and I think I’m gonna love it also. I did a spot test with it and liked what I saw. I'll definitely keep you all posted on it.



Here’s my issue:

My bun tends to go dry so I have to stay on top of keeping it moisturized. Is this normal? Or should I just continue to try different product combo’s? Also, by day 3 or after a workout, I’ve got the frizzies.
Any suggestions?.....

Update: a pretty good combo is Qhemet’s Burdock Root Buttercreme and topping it with Qhemet’s Amla Oil Pomade. I think I also have to keep in mind that I'll need to apply a moisturizer on a daily basis. Still have some other combo's to try that I'll keep you updated about.



Here’s my current regimen:

Shampoo once a month or as needed

Co-wash twice a week – my hair craves water(moisture)

Oil massage scalp 2 to 3 times weekly

Steam Condish once a month

Henna once a month

Protein treatment every 6 weeks

Ayurvedic treatment (amla, brahmi & maka) twice a month



I'm not listing too many products because I have quite a few that I'm trying to use up and then those that I'm currently testing along with those that I still have to test. Whew! What can I say? Almost 3 years sans the chemicals and I'm still a pj who enjoys putting her hands in her hair. Lol.

However, I will list a few of my staples:
leave-in:  Mop Organics Leave-In (Loves this stuff. It's my fav.) 2nd choice is Oyin's Handmade Honey  Hemp Conditioner
condish wash:  Herbal Essence Totally Twisted
shampoo: Jane Carter Solution Hydrating Invigorating shampoo/Mixed Chicks Gentle Clarifying shampoo
                or Devacurl No Poo

*My apologies for the short list but it's late and I'm hella tired and sleepy.

Post Title MY PERSONAL SUMMER BUN CHALLENGE