Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

R.I.P. KIARA (2002 - 2010)

Kiara, the kitty

On yesterday, after a long bout with an untreatable illness, our 8 year old cat passed away. I took it a bit hard. More so than my daughter, who I expected to be torn up about it.


Let me give you some background info.

I am a bit fond of animals. Truthfully, I am fond of some animals a little more than I am of others. And before Kiara, cats were on my “not too fond of” list of animals. It’s hard to imagine now, but I always thought that cats were a little “funny acting” and took way too much pleasure in scratching you up.

I’m sure by now you may be wondering, “Well, why did you get one?”…Simple answer. My daughter (and I) wanted a pet but at that time could not devote enough time to having a dog. Which is the type of pet we really wanted? We weren’t at home in time to walk a dog or get him/her out of the house to relieve himself. Around the same time, a co-worker of mine had a cat that had given birth to a litter and was trying to find a good home for some of the kittens. I told her how my daughter wanted a pet and we began to discuss adopting one of her kittens.

I ended up getting one of the lovely babies and surprised my daughter with her for Christmas that particular year. From the day I brought her home, I fell in love with her spunk, her energy and especially her loving nature. I had never experienced a cat that loved to lie in your lap or curl up under you. Or one that would come to you for attention. Or one that would respond to you. Or if I was napping on the couch, would climb on top of my stomach, purr and go to sleep with me. And did I mention that she was a bit of a vocal kitty. I would come home, open the door and say to her, “Hey Girl!”. And after trotting to the door, upon hearing my greeting would look at me and respond, “Rowr”. Yep. She was such a sweet kitty.

Fast forward to early last spring and several trips to the vet. I was told that her liver affliction was untreatable and that she would probably not make it through the summer. Well, she made it to November and we enjoyed every moment with her.

Here’s to you kitty. The one that changed my perspective on cats. And opened and filled my heart. I am forever grateful for her presence in our lives, the joy you brought to our family and for expanding my thinking.

Rest in peace, sweet mama.

Post Title R.I.P. KIARA (2002 - 2010)