Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?!......

While perusing the web... Well, actually sneaking on NaturallyCurly.com. As a bonified & happy pj (product junkie), I've honestly been rationing my time on the site to cut down on any temptations to buy. Anyhoo, I came across this article on there.

And so it reads:
PILL TO "CURE" TEXTURED HAIR?
Scientists who discovered the ‘curly gene‘ are developing a treatment that could spell the end of hair straighteners.

It is hoped the breakthrough could lead to a pill to make hair straighter or curlier, rendering the must-have beauty accessory redundant.

The discovery will also make it possible to predict whether a baby will have straight or curly hair.

And it may even help police, with DNA found at the scene of the crime indicating how wavy a suspect’s locks are.

Researchers in Australia identified the trichohyalin gene as being mainly responsible for creating curls.

Although it was known to play a role in the development of the hair follicle, Queensland Institute of Medical Research scientists have discovered its role in curliness.

Professor Nick Martin, author of the research, said a variation in the gene determined the straightness or curliness of hair. Professor Martin said it may be possible to come up with treatments to make hair straighter rather than relying on heated hair straighteners.

He said: “Potentially we can now develop new treatments to make hair curlier or straighter, rather than treating the hair directly.

“I will be discussing this with a major cosmetic company in Paris in January,” he said. (NaturallyCurly guesses this is L’Oreal, who supposedly has been working on a pill for curly hair for some time.)

— The Daily Mail


Oh, heeelll nah!!

I don't know about you, but this really pisses me off, and makes my heart ache. I mean, do we really not like ourselves this much?! Is it really that serious?!

Goodness! I almost don't even know where to begin. And here me out on this.. This issue goes beyond the black community. This is every woman. Black, Latina, white, Indian, and on and on. What is there not to love about your textured hair? Whether its straight, wavy, kinky, curly or d. all the above. This is who you are. God exclusively fashioned each and every one of us to be a unique individual. When will we embrace the beauty in our own creation? When will we bask in the attributes about ourselves that set us apart from the next person? Geez.

And don't get me wrong. I have no problem with mixing my look up by having my hair blown/flat ironed out. Or throwing on a weave or wig every now and then just to do something different or for a protective style. That's not what I'm talking about. My issue is with people seeking to permanently alter their look because they feel that what they were born with less than par physical characteristics. And don't even get me started on ingesting a damn pill that has God-knows-what in it!

C'MON SON!

I don't know. Let me take some deep breathes. I feel as if I'm rambling here.
What are your thoughts on this?....

CO

Post Title CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?!......