Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

VEGAN--ISH IS MORE LIKE IT


source
 Hi Gorgeous Ones!

The pic above is funny. A few of my friends say that I may sprout any day now. Lol.

Anyhoo, I feel sooooo much better today. Not quite back at 100, but well on my way. I was delighted to watch Oprah's show yesterday. It was about how she and 300 some odd members of her staff took on a "vegan for a week" challenge. I thought it was so cool and at times, funny to watch.

Vegan - a strict vegetarian; someone who eats no animal or dairy products at

I absolutely loved that so many people actually took on this challenge, and at least tried. Now, don't get me wrong. Personally, I'm not against eating meat, fish or eggs but at this point in my life I've decided to eat a mostly vegan diet. So although I hate labels, for clarification purposes, vegan-ish is more like what I'm doing. For me, meat, fish and eggs will be eaten in small amounts and not too often. And most importantly, they have to be raised/farmed with the highest ethics involved. Yes, it is more expensive but so is healthcare and big pharm. On top of which, the previous two can really eff you up on so many levels.

That being said, on to the point of this post. Just wanted to share a couple of dishes that I've experimented come up with on my own.

Awesome Dinner (or Lunch) Salad


Ingredients:  Green Lettuce, Romaine, beets, carrots, red onion, raw sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, avocado and vegetable tempeh. All are organic and quite tasty together.
Dressing: 1 part evoo to 2 parts raw apple cider vinegar. I then added some oregano, parsley & basil herbs to it.
Tempeh : Lightly browned in evoo
Seasoning: Pristine Sun Fire Salt
 
Tempeh is cake of soya beans that is made by removing the hull of cooked, soya beans, mixing with a rhizopus culture, and incubating for a day or two. The culture helps hold the soya beans together in a cake form. It is common to find tempeh made with added ingredients such as vegetables or grains. Eaten in Indonesia and Ceylon as a staple food. And it's packed with protein.

 
Sundried Tomatoes Quinoa w/Veggies
 

Now, I'll be the first to admit that this doesn't look all that appealing but the flavor is awesome. I love the lift that the sundried tomatoes gave it. Only next time, I'll be sure to cut them up into smaller pieces.
I prepared the quinoa per package instructions which is similiar to preparing rice on the stovetop. I put the onion and garlic in with the quinoa. Then I added the veggies.

Ingredients: Quinoa (keen-wah), red onions, spinach, broccoli.
Seasonings: Pristine Sun Fire salt and garlic

Quinoa: Though not technically a grain, quinoa can substitute for nearly any grain in cooking. Actually the seed of a leafy plant, quinoa’s relatives include spinach, beets and Swiss chard. Due to its delicate taste and rich amounts of protein, iron, potassium and other vitamins and minerals, it is quite popular. It is also a good source of dietary fiber and is easily digested.
Quinoa is an ancient crop that grows in poor soil, dry climates and even mountain altitudes. It is native to the Andes, but is also grown in South America and the Colorado Rocky Mountains.



references:
http://www.soya.be/soy-glossary.php
http://www.goodhealthinfo.net/mdr/glossary.htm
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-quinoa.htm
 
Check back on tomorrow to read about my final thoughts/experience on Carolyn Akens Body Rejuvenation Detox program.
 
Talk to you all tomorrow!

Post Title VEGAN--ISH IS MORE LIKE IT