Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Breakfast Quinoa. Yuuummmmmm......


Topped w/bananas and a little agave nectar drizzle.
 I really have been meaning to post this for the past couple of weeks.


Since my quest to eat more like a vegan/raw-vegan, I’ve been searching for recipes to try. Although this search has been a bit daunting here and there, I have managed to try a few. At least, outside of me just winging it in the kitchen. Why am I dragging my feet. I'm a bit intimidated. There. I said it. I'm the type of person who likes every little piece in its appropriate pla is a little bit of a control freak. If I don't feel like I have a handle on it then I'm more apt to drag my feet about it. I pretty much thought I squelched that self-dynamic but I'll admit I need to work on it somemore. Mk, that's another post. Think I need to take some courses on different spices and their taste.

Anyhoo, on to my post:

I got the inspiration for trying this particular dish from Folake’s (StylePantry.com) hubby who has a food blog at TastePantry.com.  Of course, I added my own little spin to it.

Breakfast Quinoa
Ingredients:
2 C of non-sweetened milk sub (hemp, almond, vanilla almond, rice, etc.)
1 or 2 cinnamon sticks
1 C of quinoa, rinsed
about 3 T of sweetener (or to taste)
toasted nuts and fresh or dried food for topping

 Place the milk and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan over moderate heat and bring to a boil—be careful as milk can bubble up quickly and easily scorches. Stir in the quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let the quinoa and milk simmer about 15 minutes. Stir in the sugar and a pinch of salt and continue to simmer until all the milk is absorbed, another 8 to 10 minutes.

Strawberries...yum!


Btw, I love this dish.  Whenever a recipe calls for a sugar, I use a sweetener like agave nectar, honey, stevia or lucuma powder. In this case (and for the most part), I used the sweetener raw agave nectar.
 
Peace out, Lovelies.

Post Title Breakfast Quinoa. Yuuummmmmm......