Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Steps to Going Natural-Consider Your Method


Good Morning Beautifuls!

And Happy Mid-week! Almost Friday, almost Friday.

I hope that your week is going well. If you are considering going natural another decision to make is whether you want to BC (Big Chop) which involves you cutting all of the relaxer/texturizer/perm off. Or if you want to transition, allowing your natural hair to grow out until you are comfortable with the new length while trimming the relaxed ends of your hair off.

Now I honestly cannot say which is the best method because I believe that you have to do what is comfortable for you. I tried to transition but b/c I'm not that patient of a person I went ahead and had my relaxed hair cut off. It was about 7 to 8 inches of hair. I do realize that that's a bit drastic to some but it worked for me. I did it and had no regrets.

If you choose to transition then I would recommend that you see a professional stylists to help you handle the difference between the new growth and permed portion of your hair. If you choose to do it yourself, then be sure to keep your hair moisturized. Your hair is extremely delicate where your new growth and permed hair meet. Some helpful products I would recommend are Curls Milkshake, Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioning Repair Cream (Walmart, Target, most drugstores), Qhemet's Heavy Cream or Burdock Root Buttercreme are a few good ones to try. Also, when handling your hair learn to comb it damp or wet with conditioner/detangler (for slip) using a wide tooth comb (seamless comb's are preferable). Combing it dry is a huge no-no. It will result in breakage and much frustration. Also, when combing always comb gently from the ends of your hair to the root. This prevents snagging which leads to breakage.

Other methods of transitioning include wearing breads, weaves and wigs until you feel comfortable with the amount of natural hair that you've grown out. You still need to take care of your hair w/these methods by washing, conditioning, and moisturizing.

Also, drink water regularly. It is your friend. It is the moisturizer, inside and out. Eat healthy and do exercise and get a proper amount of rest. All of these things benefit your hair, skin and body. I've also heard of people taking vitamins specifically for hair growth. I do not do this but I'm not against it. As I stated earlier, you have to do what's comfortable for you.

Hope this has been helpful for anyone considering going natural. If you're already natural, what did you do? Big chop or transition? If you did transition, how long?..

Post Title Steps to Going Natural-Consider Your Method