Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Wonders of Coconut Oil


Yesterday, I mentioned that I put a tsp of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil into my smoothie. I've now made that a Tablespoon. Let me explain to you why...

The health benefits of coconut oil include hair care, skin care, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, and so many other things that I don't have time to mention. These benefits can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid all of which have antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral properties and more. What happens is the body converts lauric acid into monolaurin which is claimed to help in dealing w/viruses and bacteria. Coconut oil is preferred by some athletes and body builders because it contains lesser calories than other oils. Its fat content is easily converted into energy and it does not lead to fat accumulation in the heart and arteries.

Some of the benefits of coconut oil include the following:

Hair Care - It helps in healthy growth of hair providing a shinny complexion. Is an
excellent conditioner and provides essential proteins that can nourish
damaged hair. This is the oil that I seal my hair with.

Skin Care - Is an effective moisturizer on all types of skin. I've never tried it but I have read in certain forums where people use it as a skin moisturizer.
Note that it caused acne in some ladies.


Heart Diseases - The lauric acid helps to prevent various heart problems including
high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure.

Weight Loss - It contains short and medium-chain fatty acids that help to take of
excessive weight. Easy to digest and helps the thyroid to function
at it's best. And increases metabolism by removing stress on the
pancreas, thereby burning more energy.

And so many other benefits including, digestion, immunity, healing, infections, liver, kidney, diabetes, bones, dental care, etc. etc. I wish I could list them all because it almost sounds like a wonder drug. However it's not! It's all natural which is the best!

I've posted a picture of the brand of Coconut Oil that I use. I keep one in the kitchen (for my smoothies and food) and one in my bathroom (for my hair).


Have a great day, Beautiful!

Post Title The Wonders of Coconut Oil