Pages

Monday, June 8, 2009

DAILY AFFIRMATIONS ON GOOD NEWS MONDAY


Good Morning Gorgeous!

I know the thought of speaking out loud—to yourself, may sound a bit weird but is actually a healthy mental practice. Contrary to that old popular saying, “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.”; words can actually do harm. They can build you up or tear you down. They can shape your thoughts, inspire you and can motivate you to change.

According to Carl Simonton, M.D. and Janet Hranicky, Ph.D., the quality of our health is determined to a large degree by the quality of our communication with ourselves. If you eliminate some of the negative words in your vocabulary, you will begin to eliminate some unhealthy beliefs. Changing your unhealthy beliefs is long-term emotional management and leads to long-lasting stress management, increased states of emotional well-being, and optimal health.

I believe speaking daily affirmations is a great way to create and instill a positive outlook on everything in life. Every word that you speak and hear others speak is taken in by your brain. If you constantly barrage yourself w/negative talk then that’s what you’ll believe. And if you believe it, you’re gonna walk in it and give off negative vibes and receptors, drawing the negative to you. But try flipping that to positive affirmations and surrounding yourself w/optimistic people and see how it affects your mood, your viewpoints, your self-esteem and your life. Even the way you carry yourself. And yes, this is definitely something that you have to continue on a daily basis. Speak them so that they become your everyday thoughts.

What is an affirmation? Ruth Fishel the author of the book “Change Almost Anything in 21 Days” defines it as follows: “Affirmations are positive statements we say to ourselves.” According to Fishel, daily affirmations can help you accomplish your goals and dreams. She also believes that it takes 21 days for anything in your life to become a habit.

According to Terry Cole (Psychotherapist/Life Coach/Motivational Speaker), an affirmation is a statement you declare to be true.
Here is her belief on affirmations:
Look at your subconscious mind as an excellent executive assistant in your life, ready to help you achieve the goals you; the boss and your conscious mind have set. An affirmation may be positive or negative in nature. It is how we talk to ourselves.

I am smart
I am fat
I am healthy
I can’t do this
I will do this

The above statements are all affirmations…what are YOU declaring in your life? Once you decide on some positive affirmations, your executive assistant will seek out every opportunity to reinforce them. For example if I affirm,” I have a fat butt”. When I am walking down the street and someone looks at me I will think, “See they are looking at my big fat butt.” This thought will make me feel shame, embarrassment and self-loathing. Conversely, when I affirm, “I have a beautiful healthy strong body that I love” and someone looks at me, I think, “ How nice they are appreciating my beautiful bod” which leaves me feeling empowered.

For affirmations to be effective in your life you must get rid of the negative self talk and replace it with positive self talk. The things that are repeated most in your mind are the ones that stick. If you are trying to stay away from sugar because it is bad for cancer and bad for depression and you find yourself in a bakery and your affirmation has been, “I only eat desserts that are healthy for me”, then you look at the desserts and hear a little voice repeating, “I don’t want those because I only eat desserts that are healthy for me”. Your ever-alert subconscious has latched onto an opportunity to achieve your goal, and enforce your self-instructing affirmation. You can use affirmations in every situation in your life…you have the power to change your mind so do it!


Here are some examples of affirmations that you can say out loud everyday:
• I am exuding self-confidence.
• I am worthy.
• I am courageous.
• I believe in myself.
• I can achieve anything that I truly believe.
• No matter how hard it gets, I am going to make it.
• I can do it.
• The universe is meeting all my needs immediately.
• The universe is supporting me in everything I do.
• I am receiving all the good in my life now.
• All the answers are coming to me as I need them.

How can you create your own personal affirmations that are specific to your life?
Excellent affirmations can be created by asking yourself empowering questions like, "What can I do today to move closer to a life of: abundance, health, contribution, gratitude, love, peace, purpose, etc....." (make it what you resonate with! It has to have meaning for you!)

If you create good affirmations and have a reliable prompt to remind yourself to speak or think them throughout the day, they will become implanted and almost automatic. This can be powerful to help you change your mind. Wouldn't it be nice if your default, "auto-pilot" thoughts were things you purposely planted into your mind? (instead of the things we default to....... due to societal or commercial bombardment)

Standing in front of a mirror while reciting the affirmations is also very powerful because you see yourself giving yourself a command. Remember that the words “I am” are the two most powerful words in the English language.

Use affirmations to replace old thought patterns, like in these examples:
Old Thought / New Affirmation


IT’S GOING TO BE RISKY: / Being myself involves no risks. It is my ultimate truth, and I live it fearlessly.

IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME: / I have infinite patience when it comes to fulfilling my destiny.

I DON’T DESERVE IT: / I am a Divine creation, a piece of God. Therefore, I cannot be undeserving.

Here are a few more examples of some affirmations:
"I live in abundance."

"I deserve the best and the best is coming to me now."

"Everyday, in every way, I'm getting______________ " (stronger and stronger, clearer and clearer, better and better, etc....)

"What I'm searching for is also searching for me" or "Everything I want wants me" etc.

You can also watch a wonderful video by Philip McCluskey on affirmations here.


What daily affirmations do you say, if any?....

Post Title DAILY AFFIRMATIONS ON GOOD NEWS MONDAY