Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

OOH!OOH! GOTTA DO THE NO. 2!




Deep within us lays the colon (also known as the large intestine) that is responsible for the final stages of the digestive process. The colon's function is threefold: to absorb the remaining water and electrolytes from indigestible food matter; to accept and store food remains that were not digested in the small intestine; and to eliminate solid waste (feces) from the body.

The colon works to maintain the body's fluid balance. It absorbs certain vitamins, and processes indigestible material (such as fiber), and stores waste before it is eliminated. Within the colon, the mixture of fiber, small amounts of water, and vitamins, etc., mix with mucus and the bacteria that live in the large intestine, beginning the formation of feces.

As the feces make its way through the colon, the lining absorbs most of the water as well as some of the vitamins and minerals present. Bacteria within the colon feed on the fiber, breaking it down in order to produce nutrients that will nourish the cells that line the colon. This is why fiber is such a vital part of a diet geared toward the colon's long-term health.

The colon absorbs vitamins, salts, nutrients, and water. When these essential, life-giving ingredients are being properly absorbed, we feel good. But when the colon is not working well it begins to absorb toxins into the blood stream rather than expelling them. The result is a myriad of problems ranging from constipation and gas, to candida, diverticulitis, and various other chronic health issues.

This brings me to the topic of this post – COLONICS.

Several years ago, I did a “7 Day Super Cleanse” that would probably be deemed extreme to some folk. But at the time, I felt it necessary to really cleanse myself. It included me juice fasting for 7 days. 6 of those days I received a colonic. I typically scheduled my colonic in the morning just to get it done. At the time, it was not so difficult because I had made up my mind that I would do it. Amongst the organic juices that I drank was an apple juice w/an herbal cleanser and liquid bentonite added to it. I followed that cocktail w/16 oz of distilled water. My other juice was a Power Juice Drink that consisted of carrot, beets and celery juices w/Barley Grass Powder added to it. At the time I had a juicer, so I would prepare my juices at night. Boy if I knew then what I know now, I could have had some wonderful treats from the leftover pulp. Anyhoo, I never felt weak and did continue to work the entire time. I must say, at the end of that Super Cleanse, I felt great and my skin was freakin’ gorgeous! I do feel that I need a good colonic and do plan on getting one or, hopefully, two before the end of summer.

What is a Colonic? Alternate Names: colonic hydrotherapy, colonic irrigation, colon irrigation
A colonic is the infusion of water into the rectum by a colon therapist to cleanse and flush out the colon.

What is a Typical Colonic Like?
After completing a health history form and consulting with the colon hydrotherapist, you are asked to change into a gown and lie face up on a treatment table.
The colon therapist inserts a disposable speculum into the anus. This speculum is connected to a long disposable plastic hose connected to the colon hydrotherapy unit.
Warm, filtered water is slowly released into the colon. When I did my 7 Day Super Cleanse some years ago, (garlic was added to the water to promote healing.) The water causes the muscles of the colon to contract, called peristalsis. Peristalsis "pushes" feces out through the hose to be disposed in a closed waste system.
Neither you nor the colon therapist smells the feces. The therapist usually looks at the feces through the clear hose, and may comment on the color.
This procedure is not painful. You typically feel some discomfort in the abdomen during the therapy.
The colon therapist may massage your abdominal area to facilitate the process. This is my preferred type of colonic.
After the session, the therapist leaves the room so that you may sit on a toilet to pass any residual water and stools. Then you can get dressed.
A typical session lasts 45 minutes to one hour.

Additional Tips
After a colonic, you will more than likely be encouraged to take supplements containing friendly colon bacteria, called probiotics.
In my experience, I have been asked to refrain from eating prior to a session.

Have you ever had or considered a colonic as a part of cleansing your body?...

Post Title OOH!OOH! GOTTA DO THE NO. 2!