Pages

Friday, November 28, 2008

Basil


Good Morning Beautifuls!

I hope that you had a wonderful holiday, or day off. (I'm back to work today. Uh... yay me.). Hopefully, you took care to eat reasonably/sensibly. I was pretty conscious about not overdoing it & focusing more on enjoying the moment w/family. I'm glad I did. The time was enjoyable. I hope it was for you, too.

I also hope you were able to include some fresh greens, like a salad w/your meals. I did. I actually added a couple of basil leaves in my salad. Only a couple because of it's strong flavor. I understood that basil is an herb. I just didn't know about all of its wonderful qualities until researching it.

It is an herb that is effective in protecting cells from damage from radiation.
Its essential oil has been shown to inhibit the growth of several types of bacteria. Many of which have become resistant to antibiotics. Some dietitians recommend adding basil to salad dressings to help ensure safety when eating salads. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, making it a good food for arthritics to consume. It's a source of vitamins A, C, and K, iron, calcium, manganese, magnesium, and good ole potassium. It also helps to prevent build-up in arteries and fight free radicals.

If you choose to add Basil to your diet be sure to use organic. Also, if you decide to cook it only do so for a few seconds. Cooking can destroy a lot of its wonderful properties.

Peace...

Post Title Basil