Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

TUESDAYS ARE FOR TRESSES



Smile, cause you are beautiful!

Today’s Tresses will focus on the twist-out that I did from the twists pictured in the post from last Tuesday. As I stated in that post, I used Qhemet’s Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm w/Sheamoisture to twist. I then topped it off with the Aubrey Organics B5 gel. My twists came out okay, although in my opinion they were a bit poofey. (We’ve had some rainy days lately). I would love a product that will successfully win the humidity battle and render me well defined twist-outs w/little to know frizz. I’m honestly trying the different products and combinations out to a.) use some of my product stash up and b.)find a holy grail combo that will give me the results I’m looking for.

I don’t think I will repurchase the Qhemet’s OHHB again or the Aubrey Organics B5 gel. They are both okay on my hair but I think I can find something that will work a little better. Although my issue w/the OHHB maybe that I used it on slightly damp hair as opposed to totally wet hair. That tends to make a difference for me when it comes to using products with a substantial amount of oil in them. Aubrey’s B5 gel has some wonderful natural ingredients in it but the hold is less than par for my hair. I’ll probably twist with Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue next week, so I’ll definitely let you know how that comes out as far as frizz control is concerned.




I also want to share with you the henna that I prefer to use. It is Yemen henna and it is considered to have the highest dye content in it. This is doubly good for me because the dye is the conditioning ingredient in henna and it covers my 5 gray hairs (Yes, I count ‘em) very well. Tried to get a shot of them but I couldn’t get it right. The color of them after my henna treatments is like a dark orangey red, if that makes sense. I like it b/c it adds a little flavor to my hair. Not that they are that obvious unless your right up on me and my hair is styled a certain way. They mostly hide on their own. I suppose I’ll let my daughter give it a try next time. I’ve included some close-up photos of my hair so that you can see the henna glow. My hair is black so I wanted you to see how henna affects dark hair. In sunlight (and this flash) you can see the slightly auburn-ish cast to my hair.

..."The eye..The eye!!".....




The henna mix that I go by is very simple. You can find it on Curlynikki.com. It is in her wonderfully simple Henna Me Beautiful video she’s done. I do the same thing. I use the same ingredients as CN which are green tea, honey, water and time. And let me tell you about henna loosening your curl pattern. It can happen so you definitely have to observe the effects of your treatments. I haven’t hennaed in awhile because it slightly straightened the top front portion of my hair that is a thinner texture than the rest of my hair. (Boo.) So I’ll probably begin using it again maybe next month and stick to hennaing once a month. I want to try NaturallyBeautiful’s (Wild Haired Woman). She uses hisbiscus tea and powder in her mix to pump up the coloring effects. And you know, that curious product junkie in me is itchin’ to give it a whirl.

If you have any combo’s, suggestions or comments do share.
Happy Cinco De Mayo!!

Post Title TUESDAYS ARE FOR TRESSES