Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

THE GREEN GOODNESS OF.... KALE!




Hi Beautifuls!

This is one of my favorite green smoothies, of the moment. I know to some of you, it may look pretty ominous. I've been there so I do understand. But trust me when I say it is delicious. This is one of the recipes that I featured in a recent post. It hales from The Raw Mocha Angel's blog and is quite delish!

One of it's key ingredients, the one that gives it it's green glow =), is kale. The recipe calls for 3 kale leaves but I wanted more of a punch and added a fourth one. Still delicious. I want to provide you a little information on this green goodies nutritional benefits to our bodies.

Kale is an excellent source of vitamins B6 (lowers your risk of stroke, heart disease, cancer, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's disease, and many degenerative diseases) and C (antioxidant,immune system), carotenes, and manganese. It is also a very good source of B1, B2, and E (antioxidant, prevents hair loss and a whole lot of other good stuff). It is rich in calcium, lutein, iron and Vitamins A,C and K also. And is also a great source of fiber, iron, and copper.

The naturally rich sulfur content of kale deserves a bit more discussion. Science has discovered that sulforaphane, helps boost the body's detoxification enzymes, possibly altering gene expression. This in turn is believed to help clear carcinogenic substances in a timely manner. Sulforaphane is formed when cruciferous (meaning in the mustard family) vegetables like kale are chopped or chewed. This somehow triggers the liver to produce enzymes that detoxify cancer causing chemicals, of which we are all exposed to on a daily basis.

Post Title THE GREEN GOODNESS OF.... KALE!